Just imagine that golden onions, fried sausage, crunchy vegetables and garlicky tomato sauce. Recipe for lecho (also known as lesco or leczo) is as simple and delicious as can be.
You can start by dicing all vegetables. I personally like bigger pieces better because they will stay crunchy and keep a nice texture.
I fried the diced onion first and added garlic just for the last minute to prevent it from turning bitter. After it was done I removed it and put it in a cooking pot.
Next I fried the sliced sausage until browned and same as with the onion and garlic I put it away to the cooking pot.
After sausage time for our beautiful veggies! And same story again. We’ll fry peppers and zucchini until slightly brown on the edges. Some people just fry onions and sausage and just stew the rest, I like to fry them before so they’re nice and crunchy.
And the final step is to add vegetables, canned tomatoes and spices to the cooking pot and simmer together for about 25 minutes.
If you tried that recipe and posted a pic or comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
- 2 sausages (ideally kielbasa)
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 2 garlic gloves
- diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of red crushed pepper
- salt and pepper
- Dice onions, peppers, zucchinis and garlic. Slice sausage.
- Fry onions and sausage until golden. When done put away in the pot.
- Fry peppers and zucchinis for about 5 minutes and add to the pot.
- Add tomato sauce and spices and mix everything together and simmer for 25 more minutes.