On a hot summer day there is no dinner I enjoy more than a light green soup. That receipe has only advantages- it takes only 20 minutes to make, it’s delicious and super healthy and light. Growing up, my second uncle had a broccoli farm. I remember getting boxes of broccoli from them and developing new recipes including broccoli.
First off, I diced the onions, fried them until golden and added chopped garlic at the very end, otherwise it will turn bitter.
In a cooking pot bring broccoli, peas and celery in broth to boil. Cook until soft for about 10 minutes. You can use any broth you like vegetables or chicken works best in my opinion.
I put broth with vegetables and onions and garlic in a food processor. I spiced it with salt and pepper and added cream cheese and sour cream. You can add all cream cheese and butter at once and blend again. Then I slowly added sour cream to a cup of hot soup, spoon by spoon, making sure it doesn’t curdle. Then I put that back in the soup.
You can top it with a little bit of parmesan or mozarella cheese or croutons and serve with a toast.
If you tried that recipe and posted a pic or comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
- 3 cups of broth (for example chicken)
- 1 head of broccoli
- 4 cups of frozen peas
- 5 celery stalks
- 1/2 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup of cream cheese
- 1/2 of sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons of butter
- Chop onion and garlic. Fry onion until golden, adding garlic at the end.
- Bring broth with chopped broccoli, celery and peas to boil and cook until soft for another 10 minutes.
- Blend everything in a food processor, adding cream cheese, butter and sour cream. Make sure to sour cream to a cup of warm soup spoon by spoon, making sure not to curdle it.
- Top with cheese or croutons.