Cabbage rolls (golabki, holubchi) are one one of the most traditional dishes of Eastern European cuisine. Stuffing usually consists of ground pork and rice or rice and mushrooms for Christmas Eve for example where there usually is no meat. Cabbage rolls are usually served with tomato or mushroom sauce. They are boiled or baked, but I recommend starting with baking because that way you don’t have to worry they will fall apart.
First off, I cooked rice according to the instructions on the box. I made sure that it wasn’t overcooked or too soft, it should be al dente. I chopped onion, minced garlic and mixed it together with ground pork, rice, raw egg and spices.
In the meantime I got the cabbage ready. I cut out the heart of the cabbage and placed it in a big cooking pot and poured boiling water over it. Then I boiled it until the outer leaves were soft and falling apart. I took the cabbage out, drained it and took all the leaves apart. I cut off pieces of thick stem from the leaves without making a whole in the leave.
It’s time to stuff our leaves. I put about 2 tablespoons in each leave and wrapped it like a burrito. It depends on the size of the cabbage how much meat can fit in each leave.
After all cabbage rolls were done I placed some leftover cabbage leaves on the bottom of the baking sheet. Then I places rolls on the leaves, poured 1.5 cups of water on top, covered with aluminum foil and baked at 350 F for about an hour. Then removed the cover and bake for another 15 minutes so golabki could brown a little.
Cabbage rolls stuffed with meat are best with tomato sauce. I recommend that recipe for a quick and delicious tomato sauce. Enjoy!
If you tried that recipe and posted a pic or comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
- 1 cabbage
- 1 lb of pork
- 1/2 onion
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of marjoram
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cut out the heart of cabbage, place it in a big cooking pot, pour hot water over it and boil until leaves are soft and are falling apart.
- In a big bowl mix ground pork, cooked rice, spices and raw egg.
- Cut out the hard piece of stem from each leave and stuff it with about 2 tablespoons of meat mixture and wrap securely.
- Place leftover leaves on the bottom of the baking sheet, place cabbage rolls on top, pour 2 cups of cold water on top.
- Bake cover with aluminum foil for about an hour, then remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with tomato sauce, like that one. Enjoy!