These onion bread rolls are great for mini sandwiches or for dipping. The dough they’re made of is basically more or less pizza dough. The recipe was developed by my sister who is a great of a baker. My sister came to visit for few weeks and it’s been so much fun. We got to spend some quality time together and it’s been awesome. I’m not going to lie, my sister did the bread rolls but I was following every step so I could post it here. She mixed all the dough ingredients (flour, yeast, oil, water and spices) in a big bowl. We are going to use the egg later. We added some fried onions because, well, we’re Polish and we love fried onion. We brought them to one party some time ago and they were quite a success.
In the meantime I fried onion with a tablespoon of melted butter and a pinch of sugar. We mixed red and yellow onions and fried them until golden brown.
Then we added fried onion to the dough. It doesn’t have to be completely cold but if it’s too hot you won’t be able to mix it with your hands.
She mixed all the ingredients with her hands and work the dough until smooth. After doing that for 10 minutes you can skip your arm workout that day.
After some time it should start looking like that dough below. It’s smooth and it sticks together.
Now form little rolls about the size of the fist and place them on a slightly greased baking pan. If you want you can but a little cube of for example cheddar cheese inside. When the rolls bake cheese will melt inside. It is, however, optional. Space bread rolls apart on the baking sheet since they’ll grow in the oven.
Now she beat one egg and brushed each bread roll lightly.
Bake the bread rolls at 350 for about 15- 20 minutes. It depends on your oven and the size of your bread rolls. The bigger, the longer it will take (duh!). You’ll know that they’re ready when they turn golden brown. If still unsure you can take one out and see if it’s not raw inside.
If you tried that recipe and posted a pic or comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 package of dried yeast (7g) or 2 1/4 teaspoons of fresh yeast
- 3/4 cup of water
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of oregano
- 1 tablespoon of basil
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 onion
- 0.4 lb of any cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Dice and fry onion.
- Mix flour, water, olive oil, yeast and spices together with the fried onion.
- Work the dough until smooth and set aside in the warm place, covered with a kitchen towel for about 30 minutes.
- Form little bread rolls about the size of your palm. You can put a little cheese cube if you’d like
- Place bread rolls on a lightly greased pan, spread them apart since they’ll grow.
- Beat one egg and brush each bread roll.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm or cool. Enjoy!