Summer berry cake- that name itself makes me very happy, I mean all of these three words are some of my favorite things. That amazing cake will satisfy your sweet tooth without making you feel super stuffed. My husband calls it a muffin cake. I guess the structure and taste is a little similar to a muffin moist and fruity but much lighter. Summer berry cake is very fluffy and sweetened mostly naturally by the berries.
I began with dividing 5 eggs into egg white and egg yolks. I cracked the egg over the bowls in which I had egg whites, let the egg white drip there and with the other half of the egg shell I scooped out egg yolk and put it in a separate bowl.
With a hand mixer I whipped egg whites into firm foam. It’s important that the bowl is perfectly clean and dry. If there’s some water on the bottom it may not work out.
Now add 1/2 cup of sugar (yes that’s all you need for the whole cake!) to the egg yolks and start mixing it with a hand mixer. It should turn into a smooth cream.
I added oil to the egg yolks and kept on mixing. I used coconut oil, but in the original recipe it’s canola oil. Then I added a splash of milk.
After that I gently sifted flour and baking powder to the egg yolks mix and mixed it once again with a hand mixer. Then I gently added egg whites and folded them in with the rest of the batter.
I transferred the batter to the greased cake pan. You can use butter or cooking spray.
Then I put some blueberries and chopped strawberries over the top of the cake. I pressed some of them to the bottom to have them inside of my cake too when I cut a slice. Then I put some more on top.
I baked it for about 40 minutes at 350 F. It may take a little longer depending on the oven. To be safe it’s best to stick a toothpick in the cake, if it comes out dry, it’s done. Wait 10 minutes for the cake to cool down before removing it from the cake pan. You can sprinkle some powdered sugar on top. All done! Enjoy!
If you tried that recipe and posted a pic or comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
- 5 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of canola or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 lb of fresh (or frozen) strawberries
- 1/2 lb of fresh (or frozen) berries
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Separate egg whites and egg yolks into two separate bowls.
- Whip egg whites into firm foam with a hand mixer.
- In the other bowl mix egg yolks with sugar, when it turns into a smooth cream. Then gradually add oil and milk.
- Pour batter into greased cake pan and add chopped berries on top. You can press some down so they’re inside of the cake as well.
- Bake for 40 minutes in 350 F. Before removing from the pan wait 10 minutes.