This cake is one of my favorite cakes to make. It has a nice, delicate caramel and cream flavor. When I brought it to the party a lot of people pointed out the resemblance to tiramisu. I see why- 3 bit is also a no bake dessert with cookies and cream. The difference is 3 bit is sweeter. The last thing to explain before we get to it is the name- 3 bit is a candy bar popular in Europe and 3 bit cake tries to imitate the flavor. The only thing is availability of the products in some stores. I checked and you can get them on amazon in case they’re not at your store.
I started with probably the most important ingredient- caramel cream. If you remember few recipes ago I made caramel pine cones. The candy I used has exactly is exactly the flavor of the cream (that’s why there is a cow on the can, krowka means little cow). If you can’t find it in the store there is, however, a way around it. You can buy two cans of condensed milk and boil it in water for about 2.5 hours. Just make sure that the water covers all of the can and you don’t open the can.
First layer are butter biscuits. They’re not to sweet but salty crackers won’t work. I layered them evenly in my 9×13 inch baking sheet. Don’t worry if they won’t fit perfectly. You can crack them and fill in the places where the whole cookie won’t fit.
Now take the caramel cream and spread it on the biscuits. Caramel will be sticky so it’s best to put it spoon at the time in each spot. If you made your own caramel by boiling condensed milk, make sure it’s cold.
Then I layered cookies on caramel and made budyn. It’s basically vanila pudding which you can by on amazon. Disregard the instructions since we’ll make it twice as thick. So basically mix 0.5 cup of milk with 2 bags of budyn and boil 2 cups of milk with 3 tablespoons of sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. When milk is boiling turned the heat down and add powder and milk mixture. I mixed it all the time to make sure it’s smooth, after about 1 minute I turned it off.
When budyn is done is should look something like that. Don’t worry if it’s very thick, that’s what we’re going for.
I mixed budyn and a stick of butter (talk about low fat) into a smooth cream with hand mixer.
Then I layered it on butter cookies and added another layer of cookies on top of budyn.
And finally our last layer is heavy cream. I whipped it with hand mixer and added ‘whip it’ to it so it would stay firm.
I put the cream on top of the cookies and covered it with cocoa powder and nuts. You can also use chocolate shavings. Now cake needs to stay in a fridge for at least 2 hours but ideally whole night. That’s it. Enjoy!
If you tried that recipe and posted a pic or comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
- 2 cans of caramel cream (14oz each) or condensed milk
- 2 bags of budyn
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 stick of butter (4 oz)
- 3 boxes of butter cookies (around 75 cookies)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2.5 cups of milk
- 2 bags of whip it
- 2 pints of heavy cream
- cocoa powder
- chocolate shavings, nuts (optional)
- Butter cookies on 9×13 inches baking pan.
- Layer caramel cream on butter cookies and add another layer of butter cookies on top of the caramel.
- Make budyn- mix 2 bags with 0.5 cup of cold milk. Bring 2.5 cups of milk with 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to boil. When it’s boiling add milk mixed with budyn, simmer for another minute, mixing it all the time, until it thickens.
- Whip budyn with butter with hand mixer.
- Layer budyn on cookies and cover with another layer of cookies.
- Whip heavy cream. Add whip it at the end.
- Layer whipped heavy cream on top. Cover with chocolate shavings and nuts. Refrigerate for few hours.