Today’s recipe is a great idea for a fast, tasty and low-carb dinner. Cabbage is cooked until soft in a delicate butter dill sauce. It tastes amazing on its own but I decided to top it with some fried kielbasa to add some proteins and make it a full meal. It always amazes me how such basic ingredients can be turned into something that delicious.
On a personal note, me and Chris just bought our tickets to Poland! We are going for Christmas and will stay until the New Year’s. We are planning to visit Lithuania as well. We’ll finally have some time to hang out with my family, friends and probably eat way to much amazing traditional food. We are so thrilled! There are so many crazy awesome Christmas traditions we have, including very special food we eat at that time. I can’t wait to cook together with my grandma and my mom and write about it all of that on my website!
Back to the recipe 🙂 I started with chopping cabbage into bite-size pieces.
Then I placed it in a cooking pot and covered halfway with water. I added bay leaves, allspice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Then I covered with a top and cooked on low until cabbage got soft. It should take about 25 minutes.
In the meantime I placed butter on a hot pan. When it melted I added flour and mixed until it turned into a thick paste. If you want to make this recipe to be gluten-free or paleo use cornstarch instead. Just remember to use half the amount of cornstarch- here 1 tablespoon.
I added the paste back to the pot and cooked for 5 more minutes (from the point when cabbage was soft). Then I turned the heat off and stirred in chopped dill.
On a separate pan I fried sliced sausage until golden brown. I got some Polish kielbasa and it nicely compliments the dish. I mixed sausage with cabbage.
I served it warm and topped with some extra dill. It’s ready! Yum!
If you tried that recipe and posted a pic or comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
- 1 cabbage
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour (or 1 tablespoon of cornstarch if gf)
- 1/2 cup of chopped dill
- 3 whole allspice corns
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sausages (I used Polish sausage aka kielbasa)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chop cabbage into small pieces, place it in a cooking pot and cover halfway with water. Add bay leaves, allspice and salt. Then cover it and cook on low heat until cabbage gets soft, about 25 minutes.
- In the meantime place butter on the pan. When it melts, add flour and mix until it turns into a thick paste. Then add it back to the pot and cook for 5 more minutes. Turn the heat off and stir in chopped dill.
- In a separate pan fry sliced sausage until golden brown. Mix sausage with cabbage. Serve warm.