I was struggling for a long time to come up with a perfect baked chicken legs recipe where chicken legs wouldn’t get dry, and wouldn’t require a lot of work because who has time to do that during the week. The recipe I’m offering today is awesome! I basically made a thick paste of garlic, herbs and spices, rubbed the chicken legs and baked it in the oven for an hour. Easy, right? There is a trick to it though. Chicken legs or wings in the oven tend to get very dry. That’s why I bought a special baking bag for the oven and simply put chicken legs and spices there, locked it and baked it. Seriously that has only pluses- there’s no clean up or scrubbing of the baking sheet afterwards (it’s the worst!), meat comes out so juicy and flavorful that you’re not going to believe that. What is more, chicken legs are cheap and I mean crazy cheap, like $5 for a bag of them and they’re super healthy, there is no frying, breading or oil involved.
My husband who’s not the biggest fan of dark meat and given a choice always goes for a chicken breast, absolutely loved it. Score! Just mince garlic, mix some spices, throw your chicken legs in the oven, sit back and relax. Maybe watch something fun. My recommendation is “Stranger Things” on Netflix. Oh man, is that show suspenseful! I binged watched the whole thing in like two days. Such good acting by young actors. It was so worth it having nightmares for two next nights in a row 🙂
Back to the chicken legs. I started with mincing 2 cloves of garlic and preparing all of the spices and herbs. I used basil, paprika, marjoram, cumin, celery salt, oregano, and pepper. I washed and dried chicken legs.
I mixed all the spices together with garlic in a bowl.
I placed chicken legs in a baking bag and added the spice mix. I closed it and shook it so all the spices were distributed evenly.
I baked it at 350 F for an hour. If you like your chicken skin crunchy you can cut the bag open and bake it for about 15 more minutes. Meat is delicate, juicy and is falling off the bone. Yum! Enjoy!
- 4 chicken legs
- 2 garlic cloves
- Herbs and spices: 2 teaspoons of paprika, 1 teaspoon of basil, 1 teaspoon of marjoram, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon of celery salt, 1 teaspoon of oregano, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Mince garlic and mix all the spices in a bowl. Wash and dry chicken legs.
- Place chicken legs and spices in a baking bag and lock it. Shake it to distribute all the spices evenly.
- Bake it for 60 minutes. If you want crispy skin, cut the bag open and bake for additional 15 minutes. Enjoy!