Healthy and delicious dinner recipe anybody? Chicken, goat cheese, bacon stuffed spaghetti squash is as tasty as it is light and easy to make. It’s creamy inside, filling and has a very interesting texture. It got raving reviews from my husband 🙂 For me, spaghetti squash doesn’t taste very flavorful on its own and that’s exactly why bacon and salty goat cheese complement it perfectly. I added some chicken breast for extra protein and melted some cheese on top because everything is better with melted cheese. Another great thing about this recipe is that spaghetti squash serves also as a bowl which is super fun and saves your plates.
I am a big fan of buying produce and dairy directly from farmers. Unfortunately, usually that means you might need to spend few extra bucks but it’s so worth it. Everything naturally grown tastes SO much better. I’m used to that from Poland where my grandma grows her own vegetables and fruit and has fresh milk and eggs. Last weekend we stopped by a farm owned by a very nice Amish family. The tomatoes we got there are to die for, you can’t even compare them to stuff we usually get at a grocery store. We also got some goat cheese there, the one I’m using in today’s recipe. And milk used to make it comes from these cuties in the picture below, how awesome is that!
I cut my spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, removed seeds with a spoon, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper.
Then I flipped them upside down and baked it for 30 minutes at 400 F. Depending on the size of the spaghetti squash you are using, it might need a few extra minutes, it should be soft inside.
In the meantime I diced one chicken breast.
Then I sprinkled it with salt and pepper and fried it with a tablespoon of olive oil until slightly golden.
Then I placed bacon slices on a paper plate, cover with paper towel and microwaved for 3 minutes on high. It is my favorite way to make bacon- it’s fast, there is no splattering and paper towel absorbs the excessive fat.
When my spaghetti squash was soft, I took it out of the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes. I used a fork to pull strands apart. I did it carefully not to pierce the skin.
In a bowl a mixed spaghetti squash strands, diced bacon, goat cheese, fried chicken breast and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Then I transferred the mixture back to the spaghetti squash skins.
Then I sprinkled it with grated mozzarella and roasted in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Finally, I sprinkled it with fresh basil. Parsley would work great too. Enjoy!
If you tried this recipe and posted a pic or a comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
Ingredients (for 2 portions):
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 chicken breast
- 6 pieces of bacon
- 1 cup of goat cheese
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozarella
- fresh parsley or basil for garnish
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Cut spaghetti squash lengthwise, take out seeds, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place them on a baking sheet upside down and bake for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Microwave bacon for 3 minutes and dice.
- Dice chicken breast and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fry with a tablespoon of olive oil until slightly brown.
- Remove baked spaghetti squash from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Then separate strands with a fork and remove it from the squash into a bowl.
- Mix spaghetti squash strands with bacon, chicken, goat cheese and transfer back to spaghetti squash skin. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and roast for 10 minutes or until cheese on top melts. Sprinkle with fresh basil or parsley and enjoy!