Chocolate pear cake is an amazingly delicious, simple and easy to make dessert your whole family will love. You should make it especially because pears are in season now! I found delicious pears, bought way too many and was wondering what to do with them. And since I am a strong believer that cake is always the answer, I mixed two awesome things- chocolate and pears and made one amazing chocolate pear cake. I like the moisture sliced pears add to the cake. I am also a big fan of European style pastries and cakes that are not too sweet or smothered with tons of sugary frosting. For the whole cake I used 1/2 cup of sugar which combined with sweet pears is plenty. It was my first time making that cake but I know for sure I’ll be making it again! I was inspired by that Polish recipe but changed some things. Shall we?
I started with slicing butter and microwaving it for 15 seconds. We don’t want it melted, just soft. If it’s room temperature and soft you can skip microwaving it. Then, I mixed it with sugar with a hand mixer until smooth.
Then, I added vanilla extract and eggs- one at a time.
In a separate bowl I sifted flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
Then I added flour mix in parts to the rest of the cake ingredients and mixed.
Cake batter turned out pretty thick but that’s what we are going for.
Then I transferred the cake batter to a greased cake pan. My cake pan’s diameter is 9 inches.
I peeled and sliced pears.
Then I arranged pear slices on the cake batter and pressed them in gently.
Then I baked it at 350 F for 45 minutes.
In the meantime I melted some chocolate and placed it on top of the baked cake. It is optional but it adds cake some nice more chocolaty flavor.
Tastes great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 3/4 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 stick of butter (8 tablespoons)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 4-5 pears
- 1 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Mix soft butter with sugar with a hand mixer. Then add vanilla extract and eggs one at the time.
- In a separate bowl sift flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and add in parts to the rest of the cake ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer bake batter to a greased cake pan. Place pear slices on top and bake for 45 minutes.
- Melt some chocolate and smother some on top of the baked cake. Serve with vanilla ice cream.