Chicken roulades are a staple in my family. They are an absolute must for every big family event. My grandma and my mom both make it a lot. There are two variations- chicken roulades with mushrooms and cheese or just cheese, for when me and my cousins were kids and picky eaters. Whichever version you prefer they are very satisfying, crunchy on the outside and oozing with cheesy goodness inside. Chicken roulades are great because that they don’t require a crazy long list of ingredients and they won’t break the bank either. The dish comes together pretty quickly so it’s great for a weeknight dinner. Let’s get to it 🙂
I started with chopping onion and mushrooms in little pieces.
Then I fried them with a bit of olive oil until golden.
In the meantime I cut each chicken breast in half very carefully to get 4 chicken pieces. I covered them with foil and pounded with meat tenderizer very carefully, not to make a hole in them, until they were thin. Finally, I sprinkled them on both sides with salt and pepper.
I placed cheese slices on each chicken piece. As you can see I squeezed in 1.5 on each chicken.
Then I placed a big spoon of fried mushrooms and onion on each chicken breast and rolled them up.
I prepared two plates- one with flour, one with breadcrumbs mixed with a pinch of salt and pepper and a whisked egg in a bowl.
I covered each roulade in flour, then egg and finally breadcrumbs.
I placed breaded chicken rolls in a pan with hot olive oil and fried on medium heat until each side was golden.
Don’t worry, if they’re still not cooked through, we will bake them at the end.
I placed fried chicken roulades on a baking rack and baked at 350 F for 15 minutes or until there is no pink in the chicken inside. I like to take the biggest roll, cut it in half and make sure there’s no raw meat inside. If you’re not sure, keep it in the oven for 5-8 extra minutes.
Serve warm, fresh from the oven. Enjoy!
If you tried this recipe and posted a pic or a comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
- 2 single boneless chicken breasts
- 4 slices of cheese
- 1/4 of onion
- 1 cup of chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Chop mushrooms and onion finely and fry with one tablespoon of olive oil until golden.
- Slice each chicken breast in two pieces, cover with foil and pound with meat tenderizer until thin. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place a slice of cheese on each chicken and a tablespoon of fried onion and mushrooms and form a roulade.
- Dip each roulade in flour, then egg and breadcrumbs.
- Fry each roulade in a pan with hot olive oil on each side until golden.
- Place chicken roulades on a baking rack and bake at 350 F until fully cooked, around 15 minutes. Serve warm. Enjoy!