Chocolate cake is probably not the first thing that comes to your mind hearing the word zucchini. Zucchinis are so awesome and can be transformed into anything. I still haven’t tried the zoodles (zucchini noodles) but I’m pretty sure I would love them. In this recipe grated zucchini looses its flavor for the most part but gives the cake a great moisture and beautifully compliments the chocolate flavor. It’s an excellent dessert, seriously chocolaty and delicious. I also chopped my favorite nuts, almonds, and sprinkled them on top, over a simple glaze. Chocolate zucchini cake tastes the best slightly warm and served with vanilla ice cream.
First I mixed all dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder and sifted them. Then I put it away.
In a separate bow with a l I mixed chopped butter in a room temperature with sugar and then I was gradually adding eggs, oil and vanilla extract until smooth. Then I added half of the dry ingredients and mixed and then the rest and mixed again until evenly combined.
Then I added 2 cups of grated zucchini and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips or chocolate chips and mixed everything with a spoon.
I placed my dough in a loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray.
I baked chocolate zucchini cake for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 320 F. The recipe I got called for 50 minutes but mine still wasn’t ready, as usually, the safest way is to check if it’s done is sticking a toothpick in the cake and checking if it’s going to come out dry.
In a microwave I melted chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate) with coconut oil and mixed. That is our glaze. I poured it over the chilled cake and sprinkled some chopped almonds on top. You can use other nuts, sprinkles, coconut shreds or whatever your heart desires.
I like it the most with vanilla ice cream but it’s delicious on it’s own. Enjoy!
If you tried this recipe and posted a pic or a comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
- 3 cups of flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil or melted butter
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 2 cups of zucchini
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Chocolate glaze:
- 1/3 cup of chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil or butter
- Preheat the oven to 320 F.
- Mix and sift all dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl with a mixer, mix soft butter with sugar and gradually add eggs, oil, vanilla extract. Then divide dry ingredients in two parts and add them one at the time to the rest of the dough, continually mixing.
- Add grated zucchini and chocolate chips to the bowl and mix with a spoon.
- Transfer the dough to a greased loaf pan and bake for about an hour, until a toothpick comes out dry.
- In the meantime, in a microwave melt chocolate chips with coconut oil, mix and pour over chilled cake and sprinkle with chopped nuts or your favorite toppings. Enjoy!