Pyzy are a traditional Polish dish. They are basically potato dumplings made of cooked and raw mashed potatoes, flour and eggs, pretty similar to kluski śląskie I made a few weeks ago. They can be stuffed with meat, usually pork or a mix of pork and beef which is what I did. They are very soft, delicate and seriously filling.
While it is true they take some time to make, they are so worth it. Plus, if you make too much you can freeze them before boiling and have them ready for a quick dinner during the week. It’s important to place them on a cutting board or any other flat surface in the freezer so they won’t stick together. After they’re frozen solid you can transfer them to a ziplock bag and keep in a freezer. Check out a quick video where I’m showing you how to make pyzy:
I started with frying 1/2 of chopped onion on a frying pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Then I added 1 lb of pork and 1 lb of beef and spices: marjoram, cumin, salt and pepper and fried until done.
In a food processor I crushed 3 raw potatoes. On the picture it looks like there are more, but I just chopped the 3 potatoes so it would be faster.
Then I drained the potatoes on a linen towel.
I boiled 2 lb of potatoes and mashed them together with raw, drained potatoes.
Then I added 2 eggs, 1 cup of flour and and mixed until evenly combined.
I created little palm-sized pancakes from potato dough and placed 1 tablespoon of cooked meat in the middle. Then I closed the edges, forming a little round-shaped pyza.
I cooked them in boiling water. They are ready when the float to the top. I covered them with diced and fried bacon and onion.
If you tried this recipe and posted a pic or a comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
- 2 lb of potatoes (yukon or russet)+3 raw ones
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 lb of ground pork
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1/2 onion
- 1 teaspoon of marjoram
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1/2 onion
- Peel and cook 2 lb of potatoes.
- To a cooking pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil add 1/2 of diced onion, pork, beef and spices and cook until done.
- In a blender crush 3 raw potatoes and drain them on a linen towel.
- Mash raw and cooked potatoes together. Add eggs and flour and knead until dough is smooth. You may need more flour if it’s not sticking together.
- Form palm size pancakes and place a tablespoon of cooked meat in the middle and form little balls, sealing the meat inside.
- Cook in boiling water, pyzy are ready when they float to the top. Cover with fried bacon and onion.