Happy National Dessert Day! And what is a better fall dessert than an apple pie? This time I decided to make a individual portions and have some fun with creating fun designs for each. I tried this new recipe for a crust pie from Simply Recipes and it was perfect! Very flaky and elastic and great for my individual apple pies.
According to instructions on their website, I pulsated dry ingredients in the blender than added half of the butter, pulsated, added the other half and pulsated again. Then I added cold water and pulsated again. Then I kneaded the dough. More detailed instructions you can find here.
I rolled out the dough and with a glass I cut out circles. It needs to bigger than my muffin pan hole.
I sprayed muffin pan with a cooking spray and placed each dough circle in each hole.
I cut apples in little squares.
I placed them on a pan, added sugar, cinnamon, honey and 1/4 cup of water and fried. It took about 10 minutes until water evaporated and apples got soft but not very mushy.
In the meantime I cut out fun shapes to put on top of my apple pies. It can be anything you want.
I placed apples in each hole and covered them with dough.
Then I cracked an egg and using a brush I covered each apple pie with it and sprinkled it with sugar.
I baked them at 425 for 15 minutes when the were golden brown.
If you tried this recipe and posted a pic or a comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus some more for dusting
- 2 sticks of butter, very-cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 to 8 Tbsp ice water
- 3 medium apples
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- Make the dough- pulsate all dry ingredients, add half of the butter, pulsate, add another half, pulsate and finally add water, pulsate and knead the dough.
- Roll out the dough and cut out circles bigger than muffin holes.
- Dice apples and place them on a pan with 1/4 cup of water, sugar, cinnamon and honey and cook for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Divide apples between all apple pies and covered them with the rest of the dough.
- Bake apple pies at 425 F for about 12 minutes or until golden. Enjoy!