I have for you today a great cake for your afternoon coffee or tea. This vanilla and chocolate cake is commonly called a zebra cake because of its black and white stripes. It’s super moist but very light at the same time with delicate sweetness. Not to mention the eye-catching pattern that makes this dessert look so fancy but in reality it’s really easy to make. It’s seriously delicious, great when still slightly warm from the oven as well as completely cool. After making the zebra cake a few times, I adjusted a little the family recipe. You can also make chocolate glaze on top but even without it this cake will wow.
I started with mixing dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) and sifting them. In a separate bowl I mixed 4 eggs with sugar until smooth and fluffy. While still mixing I added melted butter and oil and then gradually dry ingredients alternating with 1/2 cup of milk. I mixed until the batter was evenly combined.
Then I divided the batter in half and added 3 tablespoons of milk and vanilla extract to one and cocoa powder, coffee and 3 tablespoons of sparkling water to another one. I sprayed my pan with a cooking spray and I added 1 tablespoon of white batter in the middle of a pan and on top of that 1 tablespoon of dark batter. Then I alternated until the whole batter was gone.
I baked my zebra cake at 350 F for about 55 minutes. It may differ a bit depending on the oven. When in doubt use the good old toothpick trick, if you stick it in your cake and it comes out dry it means it’s done.
Let cool down before cutting. Enjoy!
If you tried this recipe and posted a pic or a comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
- 4 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup of coconut or canola oil
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of milk+ 3 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons of sparkling water
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon of instant coffee (optional)
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Mix dry ingredients together and sift them. In a separate bowl mix eggs with sugar until smooth, then add butter, oil and finally gradually add dry ingredients alternating with milk. Mix until evenly combined.
- Divide the batter evenly in two parts. To the first part add 3 tablespoons of milk and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract and to the other one add cocoa powder, coffee and 3 tablespoons of sparkling water.
- Spray a pan with a cooking spray. Place a tablespoon of white batter in the middle followed by a tablespoon of dark batter on top, alternate until the whole batter is gone.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool down before cutting. Enjoy!