Even though weather in Chicago doesn’t look like it, it’s November and time to slowly start thinking about the holidays. It’s definitely my favorite time of the year. I’m so excited to start decorating but there is absolutely nothing I am more excited about than holiday food. I figured it’s high time to get some cranberry action going.
This cake is absolutely fabulous. It is seriously one of my favorite thing I have ever made, put a big smile on my face and filled my whole apartment with an amazing smell. Tartness of cranberries works beautifully with sweetness of oranges. Texture is amazing too- cake is very moist with some crunch from the walnuts. It’s perfect for the holidays or just a little treat. It’s also pretty easy and fast to prepare. Make this cake one and you’ll want to be making it all the time. Let’s get to it, shall we?
In a bowl I whisked eggs, vanilla extract and freshly squeezed orange juice. I used 3 small oranges in this recipe. After you squeeze the juice remember to save the peel to grate or better yet grate it before you squeeze the juice.
In a separate bowl I mixed flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Then I added 1/2 stick of chopped butter and mixed. When these ingredients were evenly combined, I added juice mixture and mixed until evenly combined.
I added cranberries (fresh or frozen), chopped walnuts and some of the grated orange peel (leave some to top the cake with) and mixed everything with a spoon.
I placed the batter in a greased loaf pan and baked at 350 F for about 55 minutes. At least this is how long it took me, every oven is a little different. As usually, the best thing to do is sticking a toothpick when the cake looks done and checking if it comes out dry. If it does the cake is ready, if not, keep it in a little longer.
In the meantime, mix powdered sugar, orange juice and citrus liquor together. Let the cake cool down almost completely and cover with icing and extra grated orange peel. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from: http://lo.przepisy.net/ciasto-zurawinowo-pomaranczowe-z-orzechami/
If you tried this recipe and posted a pic or a comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3/4 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 cup of cranberries (frozen or fresh)
- grated skin of 1/2 orange
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of vodka or lemon vodka or any citrus liquor (or an extra tablespoon of orange juice)
- grated skin from 1/2 orange
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Whisk 2 eggs, vanilla extract and freshly squeezed orange juice together.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add chopped butter to the flour and mix. After few minutes add egg mixture. Mix until evenly combined.
- Fold in cranberries, chopped walnuts and orange peel.
- Place batter in a greased loaf pan bake for about 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry.
- In the meantime mix powdered sugar, orange juice and liquor together and spread on chilled cake. Cover with extra orange peel. Enjoy!