Zapiekanki are open-faced sandwiches, made with baguette, mushrooms and melted cheese, sometimes with more ingredients, served with ketchup. The word zapiekanki is a plural of the word zapiekanka which means more or less something baked, zapiekanka can also mean casserole. This dish became popular in the 70s in Poland and is one of the most popular originally Polish fast-food dishes.
The recipe is as easy as it gets but seriously delicious. I’ll be the first to admit that with zapiekanki you can go either very right or very wrong. Some places have fresh baguettes and toppings, other places however will serve a frozen, ready- made sandwich and put in the microwave that are nothing to write home about. That’s why making yourself is a perfect solution. It will take you no more than 15 minutes and is incredibly easy. Crunchy bread, fried onions and mushrooms, topped with melted cheese and green onions is perfection.
I cut a fresh baguette in half lengthwise.
I diced 1 onion and fried it with 1 tablespoon of butter until golden brown.
I chopped mushrooms and added them to the onions and fried until most of the liquid from mushroom evaporated.
I spread the rest of the butter (about 3 tablespoons) on the baguettes and places mushrooms and onions on top.
I covered them with shredded mozarella cheese and placed in the oven until cheese got melted and baguette got crunchy. If you can broil them, that works even better.
I topped my zapiekanki with mayo and ketchup and chopped green onions.
Serve warm fresh from the oven! Enjoy!
If you tried this recipe and posted a pic or a comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
- 1 french baguette
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 onion
- 2 cups of chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup of mozarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of mayo
- 3 tablespoons of chopped green onions
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- Cut baguette in half lengthwise.
- Dice an onion and mushrooms and fry with 1 tablespoon of butter until golden.
- Spread the rest of the butter on the baguette and place onion and mushrooms on the bread and top with shredded mozarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven until cheese melts and bread is crunchy. You can also broil zapiekanki in the oven if you have that option which works even better.
- Top zapiekanki with ketchup, mayo and green onions and serve fresh from the oven. Enjoy!