Today I made butter cookies filled with homemade strawberry jam. They are delicate, very buttery and a perfect coffee addition. I love simple butter cookies but adding jam to them gives them a nice moisture and a fruity flavor. They look beautiful and very appetizing with a jam dollop in the middle. Cutting them out takes some time but I think it would make for a fun family project. You can experiment with different cookie cutters and different fillings. If, on the other hand, you don’t have any cookie cutters don’t worry, I’ll show you how to use a glass and a shot glass for that.
Ingredients are super easy. I used flour, eggs, sugar, and of course butter. Vanilla extract is optional but I used it.
In a big bowl and mixed sifted flour, 2 eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and chopped butter. It’s easier to knead the dough if butter is soft. You can put it in a microwave for 5 seconds or so but be careful we don’t want it to melt.
I kneaded the dough in one big piece, covered with foil and put in a freezer for 15 minutes. That makes it easier to roll it and cut out cookies. If the dough is too dry and doesn’t want to stick together you can add a splash of warm water. If it’s too wet, you can add a bit of flour.
I sprinkled some flour under the dough and rolled it out pretty thin. Then I cut out round shapes with a glass. The dough that was left around the shape I kneaded again and repeated the whole process.
In half of the cookies I cut out a hole. It can be any shape. I used a shot glass to cut out a little circle. If you have small cookie cutters, you can use them to cut different shapes in your cookies.
I placed cookies on a baking sheet. If you have parchment paper you should line baking sheet with that. If like me you just have aluminum foil, that will do.
Then I baked them at 350 F for about 12 minutes. Then I took them out and let them cool down for a few minutes. I put all the ring-shaped cookies together and sprinkled them with powdered sugar.
Then on each “full” cookie I put a teaspoon of jam. It could be any flavor you like, I used my homemade strawberry jam (recipe here) as well as apricot and lemon ones. You can choose whatever you’d like really.
Then I pressed them together very gently.
They are ready! Enjoy!
If you tried this recipe and posted a pic or a comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter (1 cup)
- 3 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup of jam (I used this strawberry jam)
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a big bowl and mix sifted flour, 2 eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and soft chopped butter.
- Knead the dough into one big piece, cover with foil and put in a freezer for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkled some flour under the dough and rolled it out pretty thin. Cut out round shapes with a glass. Knead the dough that was left around the shape again and repeated the whole process.
- In half of the cookies cut out a hole.
- Placed cookies on a baking sheet and bake at 350 F for about 12 minutes. They should be slightly brown. Then take them out and let them cool down for a few minutes. Put all the ring-shaped cookies together and sprinkle them with powdered sugar.
- Then on each “full” cookie put a teaspoon of jam and press them together very gently.
FOR THIS RECIPE I RECOMMEND