My mom’s fantastic recipe for a walnut honey cream cake (called orzeczowiec in Polish). It is definitely one of the most requested desserts of all times in my my family. The mix of all the flavors and textures in this cake is everything. Two layers of dough, crunchy honey and walnut as well as sweet and creamy vanilla pudding layer complement each other in the best way possible. The only thing that could make it better is the chocolate which in my family we like to add on top.
With just 2 days before Easter, chances are you already decided on your desserts. If, however, like me you like to spontaneously come up with stuff, this recipe can still come at handy, this recipe is really worth saving. It’s not necessarily an Easter dessert, I just made a pussy willow (symbol of Easter) pattern on top to make it more festive.
I started with mixing all the dough ingredients until smooth. Butter should be soft (not melted) and chopped.
Then divide them in two even parts.
Line with parchment paper or grease and sprinkle with flour a baking pan (I used 9×13 inches) and spread one portion of the dough evenly.
Bake it at 370 F for about 10- 13 minutes. It can be still a little soft but hardens within a few minutes so make sure not to bake it too long. I removed the first cake layer from the oven and place on a clean kitchen towel to cool down.
In a cooking pot melt together the ingredients for the walnut honey layer- butter, honey, chopped walnuts and sugar.
Place the rest of the dough in the pan and cover it with the walnut honey mixture and bake for 10-12 minutes at 375 F.
In the meantime mix all ingredients for the pudding layer- vanilla pudding, milk, butter and sugar.
Then I assembled the cake- first the dough with the walnut honey layer, then the pudding layer and finally the dough layer we baked at the beginning goes on top.
I melted 2 cups of white chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of butter.
Then I spread the melted chocolate on the cake.
Finally, I added the pattern made of almond slices and milk chocolate. I waited until it hardened and that’s it. Enjoy!
If you tried this recipe and posted a pic or comment use hashtag #EasternEuropeanRecipes I’d love to see how it turned out!
- 4 cups of flour
- 0.8 cups of sugar
- 2 sticks of butter (softened and chopped)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- Walnut layer:
- 0.8 cups of chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 0.4 cups of sugar
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 instant vanilla pudding
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- Chocolate (optional):
- 2 cups of chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Any toppings you like (nuts, sprinkles etc)
- Mix all of the dough ingredients and knead into a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough in two and bake one half in a lined or greased 9×13 inch baking pan for 10-12 minutes at 375 F.
- In the meantime melt all of the ingredients of the honey walnut layer (walnuts, sugar, honey, butter) in a cooking pan.
- Remove the first cake layer from the oven and place on a clean kitchen towel to cool down. Then line the pan again and spread the rest of the dough in and cover it with the melted together walnut honey layer ingredients.
- Mix all of the cream ingredients- instant vanilla pudding, milk, sugar, butter.
- Assemble the cake- first the dough+ honey walnut layer, the cream and finally, the simple dough layer the was baked first.
- Cover the top with melted chocolate, if desired. Enjoy!